👋 Hi, I’m Martyn.
I’m a software developer for Chess.com and I have a thing for writing. Drinking Caffeine provides my perspective on my industry.
First things firstI wrote a 4-part series on how to become a better software developer. If you’re in the business of exchanging hours for text read by computers, you owe yourself this one. Mull over it and savor the details. Think about how it applies to your situation.
You can’t take a developer seriously without at least a little bit of nerdery, right? Here’s some to get you started.
- A Git Riddle - prepare your full quota of caffeine before diving into this one.
- Tabs Versus Spaces - the age old question, but there’s a twist!
- Five Minutes and Fifteen Seconds - cryptically named, this dives headlong into some Strava weeds.
Now some fun stuff
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Here are a few adventure-seeking stories.
- Buying and Selling the iPhone 6 Plus - I had the grand idea of making a quick buck from reselling still-in-the-plastic iPhones. Here’s how that worked out for me (hint: not very).
- 3 Days a Juror - The District Court of Tulsa County summoned me for jury duty. I lasted 3 days. Here’s how it went down.